Monday, 21 September 2015

WANT TO COOK NIGERIAN WEDDING JOLLOF RICE? | EASY STUDENT RECIPE

HEY! 
Guess who is back back back, back again again again 
Yes I am a DontJealousMe Fan. 

In today's post I will be sharing how I make my easy Jollof Rice which tastes just like Nigerian Wedding Jollof Rice. I know some of you guys who just entered University might be having issues with cooking so here is a recipe you can add to your cookbook.
So lets get started - 

INGREDIENTS  
1 or 2 onions
2 chopped tomatoes 
Salt 
Sunflower Oil 
1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder 
1/2 teaspoon of Dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of Mild Curry Powder
2-3 Maggi cube 
1 chicken stock ( if you have some) 
1 Red pepper 
1 Scotch Bonnet (Chilli)
4-5 cups of easy cook Rice
Water 

STEPS

Step one - Gather all your ingredients together. 




Step two - Cut the red pepper and onions. Make sure you keep some onions left on the side just the way I did it in the picture, however there is no need for you to cut the scotch bonnet because you are going to blend them all anyway! 
P.s my red pepper and scotch bonnet are frozen in this picture.

Step three - Wash the rice two to three times and leave it on the side. 
I wash the rice to get rid of some of the starch. 



Step four - Put the onions, red pepper and scotch bonnet in the blender. 
Blend Blend Blend!
Make sure the mixture looks just like the one in the picture. 


Step five - Put some oil in the pot. Make sure it is not too much! You can use the big spoon you are going to use to stir to measure the oil. As you can see in the picture below, the oil is really little. 
After putting the oil, add the leftover onions. Let it sizzle a little bit and then add the maggi cubes, curry powder, thyme and garlic powder. STIR  STIR STIR. 

Step six - add the blended mixture. stir and cover it (you can add the salt here).
 Let it cook for 5-8 minutes before you add the rice. Also add a cup of water and stir again.


Step seven - After adding the rice I let it cook for 20 minutes with medium heat then I stir it again. Usually I add the salt after this but my sister said it is better to add it after pouring the blended mixture into the pot. 

Step eight - If you see that the rice is beginning to overcome the tomato mixture then cut out a rectangle kitchen foil and rap it around the lid ( non shiny side facing the rice).
 Cover the pot and reduce the heat from medium to low so your rice wont burn!

After keep checking it without stirring the rice because then it wont cook properly. 
You can also add a little bit of water in the middle so the rice can steam well and give you that Nigerian wedding jollof that you really want! 


Step nine - Make sure everything is done by biting into several grain of rice to check if there is no white dot in the middle. If you see the white dot then the rice has not finished cooking! Leave it to steam a little bit more. 

Step ten - SERVE! With meat on the top ha ha, just like I did in the picture. 



I really hope this helps! 
This is my first time writing recipes so please don't make fun of me ha ha. 



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© TOLARAYE | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig